This bachelor degree is a new degree developed with the input of different organizations throughout the country, with the target of providing skilled engineers in the lucrative job market of transportation (MRT& High Speed Train), Oil and Gas, Process Plants etc. This is following recent call by the government to provide knowledgeable and skilled worker in related areas due to high investment in the railway projects until 2020.
The bachelor degree of Electromechanical is combination of electrical and mechanical systems knowledge and skills. The use of high technology and new methods in the industrial electromechanical installations requires skilled ‘knowledge workers' that can fully support the advanced systems used. Skilled workforce is needed to assist in design, to analyze, to manage and to maintain the advanced electromechanical installations of the country. The holistic approach will be achieved through the combination of knowledge and skills in both electrical and mechanical fields.
In latest development trends of industry, there were emerging new electromechanical technologies in electrical and mechanical drives for transportation system, manufacturing industry, and process plants. Since 1995, many innovations in electrical drives are introduced in local transportation systems such as in electric trains and recently electric vehicles (hybrid and full electric cars etc).
All developed nations are implementing energy efficiency measures to improve carbon footprint. As such, in the manufacturing and process plants sector, the energy saving features of electrical and mechanical drives along with other advantages such as power on demand, better controllability and easier maintenance are becoming indispensable factors for any modern industries to employ the technology.
The proliferation of Electrical Alternative Energy and Renewable Energy Solutions developments require adequate knowledge and skill in electrical and mechanical systems technology. The area includes alternative energy such as PV, solar cell, biomass etc, Battery Management Systems, Electrical Energy Harvesting and others. Hence, the invention of new technologies in electrical and mechanical systems requires trained engineering technologists in respective area.
These trends in industry require adequately trained workforce for installation, production and maintenance of electrical and mechanical systems in transportation, manufacturing industry and process plants. Engineering technologists trained with knowledge and practical skills in both fields of electrical and mechanical systems for transportation and manufacturing engineering will be much sought after.
The program aims to support Malaysia's aspirations of becoming an industrialized nation by nurturing ethical, resilient and multi-skilled electromechanical technologist with global enterprising technopreneurial skills.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
The PEOs are the expected attributes of the alumni of BET Electromechanical System 3-5 years after graduation. Our objectives are to produce engineering technologists who:
- To produce Electromechanical Engineering Technologist who are knowledgeable, competent and innovative which will contribute towards the human capital in electromechanical engineering technology related industry.
- To produce Electromechanical Engineering Technologist who has effective leadership and team work skills as well as verbal, non-verbal and interpersonal communication skills to support their role in Electromechanical Systems industry.
- To produce Electromechanical Engineering Technologist who are committed to the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
- To produce Electromechanical Engineering Technologist who practice professionalism with ethics and social responsibility.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO)
Upon graduation, the students of BET Electromechanical System are expected to have the ability to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization to defined and applied electromechanical engineering procedures, processes, systems or methodologies.
- Identify, formulate, research literature and solve broadly-defined electromechanical engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using analytical tools appropriate to the area of specialization.
- Design solutions for broadly-defined electromechanical engineering technology problems and contribute to the design of systems, components or processes to meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of broadly-defined problems; locate, search and select relevant data from codes, data bases and literature, design and conduct experiments to provide valid conclusion.
- Select and apply appropriate technique, resources and modern engineering tools, including prediction and modeling, to broadly-defined electromechanical engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations.
- Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse technical teams.
- Communicate effectively on broadly-defined electromechanical engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, by being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations and give and receive clear instructions.
- Demonstrate understanding of the societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities and norms of electromechanical engineering technology practice.
- Understand and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of electromechanical engineering technology practice.
- Understand the impact of engineering solutions in a societal context and demonstrate knowledge of and the need for sustainable development.
- Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of management, business practices and technopreneurial competencies.
- Recognize the need for and have the ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning.
Our graduates will be likely be employed by industries in the lucrative sectors such as the following:
- Transportation industry with main products employing electric drive in railway, light rail transit and electric drives especially terrestrial transportation.
- Plants using electrical equipments with associated drives such as refineries in oil and gas sectors, process control companies etc.
- Manufacturers/designers employing/producing electric drives products.
- Energy Providers (Utility Supply, Independent Power Producers etc )
They can be employed as Electromechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Equipment Engineer, Operation Engineer, Failure Analysis Engineer, Systems Engineer, Maintenance Engineer etc.
Alternatively UniKL is developing Master In Engineering Technology programme, and also eventually the PHD programme, should the student seeks a career in Education.